We've added a range of gender options in the Hinge app to create a more welcoming environment for all our members. Helping Hinge users to more accurately represent themselves on the app is one small step forward in our mission to create a better dating culture, both online and offline.
To access the different gender options:
- Within the Hinge app, navigate to your Settings tab
- Tap the pencil icon above your name
- Scroll down and tap Gender
- Tap More on the right side of the screen
- Then, begin typing the gender that you'd like to display on your profile. You'll see a list of options appear and you can select one of those or continue entering your preferred gender term
You can then choose whether or not you want your gender to appear publicly on your profile:
- If you’re an iOS user you can change the visibility by tapping on the toggle
- If you’re an Android user you can change the visibility by tapping on the circle next to the words Visible on profile
Finally, select who you want to see your profile: people looking for men or people looking for women. Note that this is not describing how those people identify, but rather who those people are looking for. In other words: this is about you, not them.
We recognize that this aspect doesn't come close to capturing the spectrum of different orientations. We're continuing to investigate new ways to represent all of our members more accurately and inclusively.